Help
    • Forum help and frequently asked questions
I want to be a Practice Nurse!
n/a

1 Posts

Profile Picture
Posted:  11-Sep-2012 13:19
Hi there,
I am currently a Sister on a busy acute surgical ward and have got 23 years of surgical nursing experience behind me as well as 5 years of Prison Service nursing too.
I am currently on long term leave from work after undergoing successful treatment for thyroid cancer and am due back to work next month. Having had a lot of time away from work has given me an opportunity to re-evaluate what I want in life and to prioritise things that are important to me.
I am, and have been for a number of years now, really keen to get into Practice Nursing but don''t know where I should start. I have seen jobs advertised but as I do not have a Practice Nurse course I have not applied for anything yet.
If anybody can give me some advice as to how I can move into this area of nursing I would be really grateful.

Thank you!
Rachel

n/a

77 Posts

Posted:  12-Sep-2012 09:41
Hi Rachel
I am just about to take up my first post as a practice nurse. i did apply for a job having no PN experience and surprisingly they gave it to me!!! I have a challenging time ahead with lots of courses to do and as a single nurse practice I would imagine i will feel under pressure for a time however i am sure if your really want it you can apply and sell your enthusiasm.  Good luck

scotty :)
Nemesis

3266 Posts

Posted:  12-Sep-2012 10:12 Log in to like this post
Welcome to the forum Rachel. If you use the search function on the top right of the page you will find lots of answers to your question. Your lack of practice nurse qualifications and experience should not put you off. Many practices are happy to provide you with all the training you need. Start applying now and look into maybe doing diploma level course in a chronic disease, such as asthma/copd/diabetes/chd (warwick is a good start). You need to be prepared to take a significant drop in salary as most GP practices are struggling for cash at the moment. You may have to start with simple treatment room work for a while whilst you train up.Eventually you can expect to earn a decent salary with the right experience and qualifications. You must be prepared to study, study, study. Most experienced PNs now have prescribing qualifications and have done diploma/degree level courses in every chronic disease aswell as CASH. It is a fantastic career as long as you are committed to ongoing training. Good luck x

n/a

99 Posts

Posted:  13-Sep-2012 19:08
Hi Rachel,
I secured a practice nurse post after taking 5 years out of nursing and with no practice nursing experience. I''ve just finished a postgrad diploma in diabetes and have been a PN for 2 years now and have been given my sister status back now.
We have also just employed a newly qualified nurse who is due to go on the practice nurse course so go for it, I have never looked back and love the fact that it keeps you on your toes with all the learning you have to do, I love the autonomy too.
Life''s all too short and you will have so many transferable skills.
I would recommend joining a large practice though as you learn so much more from other nurses, I think Scotty is SO brave.
Smewth

n/a

77 Posts

Posted:  14-Sep-2012 08:14
Brave or dumb Rachel lol :)

scotty :)
Please log in to post on the forum. It is free to register.
Some links are only clickable if you are logged in
Featured Jobs
part time practice nurse
Grove village medical centre
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic and motivated nurse to join our amazing practice team to work for 8 hours per month, 4 hours each on a coupl....
This job offer was posted by Sdhandee 15 October 2018
Practice Nurse - Barking, London
nurses.co.uk
Want to work in the busy, ideal location of Barking?Are you an experienced Practice Nurse looking for a new, exciting career move?This job is expected....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 19 October 2018
Senior Practice Development Nurse - Emergency Dept
nurses.co.uk
King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust part of King's Health Partners Academic Health Sciences Centre (AHSC), is one of the UK’s largest and bus....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 12 October 2018
Practice Nurse
nurses.co.uk
Chase Medical is seeking an experienced Practice Nurse to work in a GP Practice in the Paddington area of London on a flexible locum basis. By working....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 10 October 2018
Practice Nurse
Practice Nurse Qualification Desirable but not essential. Undertake all duties and responsibilities related to the practice nurse role....
This job offer was posted by HCA Healthcare UK 19 October 2018
Events
Add Event
Public Personal