• Forum help and frequently asked questions
    Help
    • Forum help and frequently asked questions
shingles and flu can they be given together
bonbon

176 Posts

Posted:  26-Jun-2013 12:43
Hi all
attended our flu conference yesterday and so much talk about flu vaccine programme no time to discuss the other new introductions ie rotavirus and shingles vaccine?
I understand from a colleague you cant give along with pneumonia (if indicated).still waiting for PGD's locally.
does any one know
[8)]
nakrdnurse

5368 Posts

Posted:  26-Jun-2013 12:57
then we're all doomed!

we are suppost to be able to  give flu and shingles together if needed  ...
i suspect this is a license/psd issue  but does anyone have solid info?

Please be informed that the above is personal opinion only.
Lilywhite

1434 Posts

Posted:  26-Jun-2013 13:15
Zostavax is live - pneumovax is polysaccharide - theoretically I can't see why they could not be given together.

Ring the manufacturer (medical department) to ask - it may be just a licensing issue.

Rotavirus is live - but oral - even so - should theoretically be allowed to be given together.

I would ring the manufacturer and see if they can give you a rationale.

Please be aware this is my opinion only based on the evidence I have seen, and not meant to be taken as direction
KatieMoore

275 Posts

Posted:  26-Jun-2013 14:14
Just been on a study day.  Cannot give Shingles with Pneumo but ok to give with flu.  This is because there has been a decline in immunity seen with Zostavax when given together.  Need to leave a 4wk gap.   Just for reference Zostavax is licenced for 50+ and is a single dose sub-cut into deltoid.   In our area we will only be vaccinating ages 70 and 79.  Nothing inbetween.

Katie
KatieMoore

275 Posts

Posted:  26-Jun-2013 14:17
Forgot to say that the vaccine does not have a very high rate of preventing the infection (only around 51%) but what they are using it for is to reduce the incidences of post viral nerve pain (post herpatic neuralgia) which is very debilitating (around 65%).

Also it not to be given to patients on Methotrexate.

Katie
mrsjasper

699 Posts

Posted:  26-Jun-2013 14:39
We've just had a meeting with the rep and he has said what KatieMoore said. The government have bought so many doses only, its not available anywhere, even privately, outside of the nhs programme for 70 and 79 year olds. It can be given with flu, in opposite arms abut not pneumo. No issue on giving rotavirus and shingle together as rotavirus isn't suitable over the age of 6 months and shingles isnt suitable under the age of 70, now I have some bad days, and drug errors are only human, but even a very stressed and tired nurse should be able to tell the difference between a 6 months old and a 70 year old!

MrsJ
Please log in to post on the forum. It is free to register.
Some links are only clickable if you are logged in
Featured Jobs
part time practice nurse
Grove village medical centre
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic and motivated nurse to join our amazing practice team to work for 8 hours per month, 4 hours each on a coupl....
This job offer was posted by Sdhandee 15 October 2018
Practice Nurse - Barking, London
nurses.co.uk
Want to work in the busy, ideal location of Barking?Are you an experienced Practice Nurse looking for a new, exciting career move?This job is expected....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 19 October 2018
Senior Practice Development Nurse - Emergency Dept
nurses.co.uk
King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust part of King's Health Partners Academic Health Sciences Centre (AHSC), is one of the UK’s largest and bus....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 12 October 2018
Practice Nurse
nurses.co.uk
Chase Medical is seeking an experienced Practice Nurse to work in a GP Practice in the Paddington area of London on a flexible locum basis. By working....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 10 October 2018
Practice Nurse
Practice Nurse Qualification Desirable but not essential. Undertake all duties and responsibilities related to the practice nurse role....
This job offer was posted by HCA Healthcare UK 19 October 2018
Events
Add Event
Public Personal