• Forum help and frequently asked questions
    Help
    • Forum help and frequently asked questions
flu vaccs and latex allergy
n/a

141 Posts

Posted:  13-Oct-2013 22:19
Hi All

can anybody give me a link please as to which flu vaccs may contain latex in the bungs etc. We have quite a few latex allergy patients at our practice

thanks
tiredandemotional

4497 Posts

Profile Picture
Posted:  13-Oct-2013 23:14
Have you looked at the spc of the vaccines you are using?
n/a

141 Posts

Posted:  14-Oct-2013 07:47
Hi. Yes i have there is no mention of latex in the spc, I thought there was a website which gave details of whether latex is used in bungs. I have seen such a website (american based) but it was quite old and not updated.
tiredandemotional

4497 Posts

Profile Picture
Posted:  14-Oct-2013 09:14
If latex is not mentioned in the Nature and contents of Container section of the SPC then it is not included.

This is what is listed for the vaccine we are using this year.

6.5 Nature and contents of container

0.5 ml of suspension in prefilled syringe (type I glass) with attached needle, equipped with a plunger stopper (elastomer chlorobromobutyl or chlorobutyl or bromobutyl) – pack size of 1, 10, 20 or 50.

0.5 ml of suspension in prefilled syringe (type I glass) without needle, equipped with a plunger stopper (elastomer chlorobromobutyl or chlorobutyl or bromobutyl) – pack size of 1, 10, 20 or 50.

Not all pack sizes may be marketed.

harry

86 Posts

Posted:  14-Oct-2013 12:27
I have Type 1 latex allergy.

The first thing to do is identify whether your patients are Type 1 or Type 4 allergic. I'm Type 1 and have been advised by my Immunologist not to have ANY immunisations because I went into anaphylaxis post flu jab!

Having said that, I have had an annual flu jab since but it is at my own risk.

No company will guarantee their jabs are 100% latex free. They can assure you the bungs/syringes etc are free of latex but I haven't found a manfucaturer that can categorically say their manufacturing processes do not carry a risk of contamination, for example, Abbott say that there are latex rings involved in the manufacturing process, so whilst the risk is low as the syringe/bung is latex free, it is not completely without risk.

It is very much like being nut allergic and buying an item of food with "cannot guarantee the product is nut free" stamped all over it despite it being nut free in the list of ingredients.

I would advise ringing the manufacturers direct and specifically asking about the manufacturing, and then discuss with your patients individually.
karen.rudd

12186 Posts

Posted:  14-Oct-2013 14:14
Agree with previous posters. There is a table of commonly used travel vaccines and latex risk  on travax. If you type latex into the search box then you will find it. Generally vials are less likely to post a threat than prefilled but always worth checking with the manufacturer particularly with type one allergy. So checkout the travax page where the subject is discussed in an easy to understand manner. Flu vaccines with spc details like the one T&E has posted do not contain NRL or DNR which are ones to avoid if type 1 allergy present. Ultimately the vaccine manufacturer should be consulted as latex exposure may occur during manufacturing even if not in the apparatus you inject but this is only really significant with type one allergy. 

travax states
Vaccines that contain synthetic rubber contain no natural latex (e.g. rubber butyl) and pose no risk to latex allergenic individuals

Please be informed that the above is the opinion of the author and is in no way meant to be taken as instruction. karen
phantom

757 Posts

Posted:  14-Oct-2013 22:11
Fluvirin - Novartis

Says in the SPC under special warnings  and precautions for use
Latex - sensitive individuals
Although no natural rubber latex is detected in the syringe tip cap ,the safe use of Fluvirin in latex sensitive individuals has not been established.

Therefore very non comittal but covering their backsides. 

Please log in to post on the forum. It is free to register.
Some links are only clickable if you are logged in
Featured Jobs
Lead Practice Nurse Vacancy
nurses.co.uk
Lead Practice Nurse We've got an exciting new vacancy in Beverley for a Lead Practice Nurse!Clinically, you should be confident with all your standard....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 24 May 2019
Practice Nurse
nurses.co.uk
Practice Nurse, West SussexChase Medical is offering exciting new locum opportunities to Practice Nurses in West Sussex.Pay rates: £25 - £42 per hour ....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 22 May 2019
Occupational Health Practice Nurse
nurses.co.uk
Following promotion of the existing post holder an exciting opportunity has arisen to join the in house Occupational Health Service which supports the....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 21 May 2019
Advanced Nurse Practitioner
nurses.co.uk
A lovely GP surgery in Gwynedd is recruiting a Nurse Practitioner to join their wonderful team permanently! The position is for 2/3 days per week.The ....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 21 May 2019
Practice Nurse, Eltham area
nurses.co.uk
Background - A considerate, well-run practice which is respected by healthcare professionals locally is looking to recruit a new Practice Nurse due to....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 16 May 2019
Events
Add Event
Public Personal