• Register for free
  • Forum help and frequently asked questions
    Help
    • Forum help and frequently asked questions
spacers
n/a

12 Posts

Posted:  26-Oct-2013 08:24
Can I ask what everyone does for reversibility testing?  I'm having a battle over spacers with my pm, everything I've read and courses I've done always says use single patient use.  But my pm won't allow it.  Even our local respiratory physiologist says wash in warm soapy water!  So I've been forced to sterilize between use... at least that's better than the hospital.
Wonder what cqc will make of that. 
bubblegum

111 Posts

Posted:  26-Oct-2013 17:15
I only use for single patient. try and replace stock with individual px from pt just used it on and ask pt if they agree to this, works for most patients as most of them are happy with this as don't pay for their prescriptions. if I get a pt who does pay then I order them through our surgery stock instead. I would hate to use a spacer previously used by someone else, but luckily for me its not made an issue in my surgery.
n/a

12 Posts

Posted:  26-Oct-2013 18:05
I'm using the spacer for reversibility and usually the patient still pays for their scripts.  I've tried doing a script per patient, but find they don't collect it.  My pm won't pay for single use, not that we use a huge amount. I'm just banging my head against the wall over this.  :-(
Noodle

4 Posts

Posted:  27-Oct-2013 13:10
I've heard there are disposable ones on the market, but not sure they are any good. Perhaps that is a way of solving the cost issue.
Sarahemmitt

5 Posts

Posted:  28-Oct-2013 07:51 Log in to like this post
Hi all the courses I've done say its fine to reuse the volumatic as long as washed in between patient use. We do numerous spirometry a week so would be very expensive if had a new one for each patient (this is the nurse manager who controls the budget in me ) but I agree as a infection control issue it would be ideal to have a new one per patient.
n/a

242 Posts

Posted:  08-Feb-2014 09:16
I understand volumatics should be single use but at present we are cleaning them. Im sure we are not the only ones doing this. Does anyone have a prptocol for this? Is milton generaly used? Thanks
gill.johnson

20 Posts

Posted:  08-Feb-2014 18:25

I have 3 or 4 and soak them all in very hot soapy water, rinse well and leave to dry, As the above comment  i do so much reversability it would cost a fortune. I am sure there must be articles on this. You could then present the evidence to the  partnership and let them make the decision rather than worrying about it i guess. You can only do your best in these situations/dilemmas

gill
good luck
n/a

242 Posts

Posted:  09-Feb-2014 18:08
Thanks. Any other comments out there? If you use milton, do you rinse aftrr?
mermaid

452 Posts

Posted:  10-Feb-2014 09:43
We were also told by infection control that washing and rinsing in hot soapy water is adequate.
Prissy

158 Posts

Posted:  10-Feb-2014 10:32
I no longer do reversibility in practice, I give the patient Qvar 200mcg for 6 weeks or a trial of oral steroid 30mg a day for 14 days then repeat spirometry.
gill.johnson

20 Posts

Posted:  11-Feb-2014 21:04
milton is ok according to what i have read and on many protocols. single use ones not reliable enough again according to what i have read recently.  gps in our practice dont like giving steroids for trial purposes.... but is an idea. milton also for inspiratory meters also ( 10-15 min soak for both)
gill
atir

83 Posts

Posted:  02-Apr-2015 18:41 Log in to like this post
Any links to your reading please gill BIG issue at prsent in practice
J.R.H

1259 Posts

Posted:  02-Apr-2015 19:03
Single use or what about chucking them in the dishwasher on a hot wash-got to be better than rinsing in the sink!

n/a

183 Posts

Posted:  03-Apr-2015 10:42
Dishwasher - what dishwasher?!

Personally like Prissy I no longer do reversibility testing with spirometer - if clinical history is more likely to be asthma then I will prescribe a peak flow meter & salbutamol qds prn to record bd for two to three weeks; if thinking along the lines of COPD then take full history and prescribe adequate bronchodilation with either saba and/or lama and ensure patient uses saba qds day before and every two hours before spiro on day of test.

Reversibility - how much - if you read all the different evidence!

Please log in to post on the forum. It is free to register.
Some links are only clickable if you are logged in
Featured Jobs
Practice Nurse Manager/Prescriber/Practitioner
Linden Medical Centre
Experienced Practice Nurse or Nurse Practitioner. ... Medical Centre in Maidenhead is restructuring its nursing team following staff retirement, a....
This job offer was posted by Linden9a 20 November 2017
Practice Nurse, Maidenhead
nurses.co.uk
Practice Nurse, MaidenheadSalary: Band 6-7 (Dependent on Experience) - more for PrescribersNHS pension6 weeks annual leave + BH + study leave Indemnit....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 05 December 2017
Practice nurse band 6 - Windsor,Berkshire
nurses.co.uk
Kingdom Medical are recruiting for a Band 6 Practice Nurse for a major government body in Windsor,Berkshire. The post starts on 08/01/2018 however thi....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 01 December 2017
Practice Nurse job vacancy- Sutton
nurses.co.uk
Are you looking for a new post where you're supported in your development?We have a brand new vacancy become available for an experienced Practice Nur....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 28 November 2017
Practice Nurse
Heathcot Medical Practice seeks an enthusiastic and motivated Practice Nurse to join our friendly medical practice in Woking....
This job offer was posted by NHS Jobs 08 December 2017
Events
Add Event
Public Personal