• Search all forums
  • Forum help and frequently asked questions
    Help
    • Forum help and frequently asked questions
Contraception - pill checks
Pweechy

129 Posts

Posted:  18-Apr-2014 11:31
Morning! Wondering what views are on yearly pill checks by trained FP nurse with BP taken at 6 months by HCA ? Current practice of 6 monthly pill checks under review. Wondered what other practices do? Thank you in advance!
karen.rudd

11934 Posts

Posted:  18-Apr-2014 11:39
I think most of us with family planning training and prescribing have been authorising meds for 12 mths (issuing 6months at a time with further 6mths on repeat) with women well established on a method anyway for some time? Those we still see at 6mths or less are less established, considering change of method, or having problems and not sure what having an hca take their bp at 6 months would achieve with them or for the practice workload generally. Interested to hear what others would do?

Please be informed that the above is the opinion of the author and is in no way meant to be taken as instruction.

karen
iPhone App Posted on my iPhone
blue.tunic.syndrome

1545 Posts

Profile Picture
Posted:  18-Apr-2014 13:00
We do a 12 month Rx now as dates are much longer in pharmacies, women are educated about changes and risks to approach us about and it becomes their responsibility to come in. This is only for the well established with no contraindications or short term plans for a pregnancy. Women often ask questions when in for a pill check that mean the hca would have to book them for a 2nd appt anyway.
Some people who' s bmi needs checking and reviewing come 3 monthly still, looking at the table in the guillibaud guides eg bmi 34 , non smoker would have diet and lifestyle advice, free weight watchers for 3 months offered and a shorter Rx to see if we can kick start changes , would show them the table and discuss risk vs benefit.

Faith x
Sisters function as safety nets in a chaotic world simply by being there for each other.
tigger1

1101 Posts

Posted:  18-Apr-2014 14:25
As above, I see smokers or any with risk factors at 6 mths to try to encourage change. Can't see any reason or benefit in see hca at 6 mths. In fact I feel quite strongly that if it's worth doing at all it needs to be an Fp trained person doing it, if not don't bother.

An example working a locum where hca does pill checks and have often found they document no problems but then I find patients who don't know the correct missed pill rules esp omitting pfi if not more than 7 in coc pack or not knowing difference between pop interval. Another common one is not advising about change back to coc when stopped b/ f or at 6 mths if preferred.

As I say if it's not being done for good reason and properly why bother pretending its a pill check, it's not it's just a bp check/ weight rev
angel66

1049 Posts

Posted:  18-Apr-2014 16:23
If it was as simple as just doing a bp check , then patient themselves could do that BUT it is not.If they need check, then it should be by FP trained person.
Pweechy

129 Posts

Posted:  18-Apr-2014 21:33
Thank you for feedback, agree re. That check should be FP trained. New PM questioning the current protocol and why we see Pts every 6 months?
Wondered what others were doing as his previous surgery checked once a year with a BP check in the interim.
I feel it is important that we maintain standards to ensure safety for the patient and corners aren't cut to safe pennies and time!
Anyway, thanks again. Pweechy x
Porthmadog

0 Posts

Posted:  18-Aug-2014 09:18
Has anyone out there have a protocol for HCA's carrying out Pill checks.

Thank you Helen

helen
Please log in to post on the forum. It is free to register.
Some links are only clickable if you are logged in
Featured Jobs
Practice Nurse
AT Medics
Location: Albert Road & Britannia Village Surgery, 76 Albert Road, London, E16 2DY The Loxford Practice, 417 Ilford Lane, Ilford, IG1 2SN AT Medics ....
This job offer was posted by atmedics 11 May 2018
Practice Nurse Vacancy at Barlby Surgery, W10 6DZ
Barlby Surgery, St Charles' Centre for Health and Wellbeing, Exmoor Street, London, W10 6DZ
AT Medics are looking to recruit passionate, flexible and motivated Practice Nurses for the Cassidy Medical Centre to assist our clinical team in prov....
This job offer was posted by atmedics 08 May 2018
Practice Nurse, Barking
nurses.co.uk
We are appointing a Practice Nurse to join a forward-thinking, stable and innovative surgery, where the team take genuine pride in making work stimula....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 11 May 2018
Practice Nurse
NHS Primary Care Experience (Practice Nurse). Participation in administrative systems in the Practice. The focus of the role is the delivery of eviden....
This job offer was posted by Babylon Health 19 May 2018
Practice Nurse
We require an experienced enthusiastic and highly motivated Practice Nurse to work alongside our friendly and dedicated nurse team....
This job offer was posted by Indeed 17 May 2018
Events
Upcoming Events
09 June 2018Contraception & Sexual Health Study Day
Add Event
Public Personal