• Forum help and frequently asked questions
    Help
    • Forum help and frequently asked questions
Spirometry ARTP portfolio panic
cazbing14

17 Posts

Posted:  18-Jan-2015 14:02
Can anyone help?

I am completely panicking. I have two months until I submit my portfolio. I'm not getting the types of results I'm needing (I have - 1 mild which is questionable because of variability in results, 2 moderate, 1 severe, 1 restriction, 1 insignificant BD response), and even with technically acceptable results I have no idea how to document them for the portfolio. Do I write a load for every patient or just brief explanation of results, or less words and just document in a table?

I think I have got myself so twisted up in knots I just can't see where to start [:(]

Thanks for any advice,

Caz x
utterly.nutterly

17 Posts

Posted:  18-Jan-2015 20:10 Log in to like this post
Can recommend Spirosister's portfolio document in LADS I used this for guidance and achieved a merit, I was allowed to use some retrospective spirometry tracings as I had a similar problem finding mild tracings. Good luck with it! X

Di G
iPhone App Posted on my iPhone
cazbing14

17 Posts

Posted:  18-Jan-2015 20:56
Ooh, thanks. What is LADS though?
I'm new to practice nursing and new to spirometry too, so all I have is everything I've done since doing the course. No retrospective ones to pick through. Hey ho, still got another couple of months to find them!
cazbing14

17 Posts

Posted:  18-Jan-2015 21:01
Thanks, found LADS, but can't find anything by Spirosister. Maybe I'm in the wrong place
cazbing14

17 Posts

Posted:  18-Jan-2015 21:11
Found it x
gardener

4 Posts

Posted:  19-Jan-2015 11:33
How do i find LADS??
cazbing14

17 Posts

Posted:  20-Jan-2015 10:57
If you click on the menu button at the top right of the screen it will come up there. If you're looking for Spirosister's portfolio it doesn't come up on the LADS tree, but if you do a forum search it will say no results found on forum. Look under that and you will see "3 links and documents found", that is the portfolio, protocol and a bit about peakk flows. Hope that helps x
gardener

4 Posts

Posted:  20-Jan-2015 15:39
thanks a million..i've found it!!
spirosister

106 Posts

Posted:  20-Jan-2015 15:58 Log in to like this post
Oh wow! that's my work! Very flattered, and glad to be of help [:I]
cazbing14

17 Posts

Posted:  20-Jan-2015 16:52
You are recommended by several people Spirosister, so I think your portfolio has entered the realms of myth and lore, and anyone who asks on here shall be sent in search of the Holy Grail that is your portfolio it seems! Seeing it has just reassured me that what I've done so far is pretty much on the right track and reduced my sense of panic some. Can't thank you enough for that! [;)]
PN22

61 Posts

Posted:  04-Feb-2015 09:17
Hi
I too am having an ARTP portfolio panic over some of my spirometry results.
I was told on the course that interpretation should be set to 'FEV1 + FVC' but then this means that the best FEV1 or FVC are not always selected by the spirometer for interpretation. It doesn't seem possible to select best individual results for FEV1 or FVC once test has been done. But then guidelines for interpretation say that the best result for FEV1 and FVC must be used for interpretation. How does this make sense?? I consequently have some results which have interpretation based on not the best results. Obviously I can use the best results to interpret myself but these are not the ones printed out! I feel like I'm missing the point here somewhere and getting completely confused!
cazbing14

17 Posts

Posted:  04-Feb-2015 11:51
I'm still confused by the whole thing, especially regards variablity (is it 100 or 150mls - depends where you read!) I think if you discuss this and acknowledge it at least they know you are aware of it. I guess you could say the machine classes this as acceptable because it adds them together but on checking the individual values they're not, or vice versa? I don't know really, sorry I can't help, I'm struggling myself!
Please log in to post on the forum. It is free to register.
Some links are only clickable if you are logged in
Featured Jobs
Practice Nurse
AT Medics
Location: Albert Road & Britannia Village Surgery, 76 Albert Road, London, E16 2DY The Loxford Practice, 417 Ilford Lane, Ilford, IG1 2SN AT Medics ....
This job offer was posted by atmedics 11 May 2018
Practice Nurse Vacancy at Barlby Surgery, W10 6DZ
Barlby Surgery, St Charles' Centre for Health and Wellbeing, Exmoor Street, London, W10 6DZ
AT Medics are looking to recruit passionate, flexible and motivated Practice Nurses for the Cassidy Medical Centre to assist our clinical team in prov....
This job offer was posted by atmedics 08 May 2018
Practice Nurse, Barking
nurses.co.uk
We are appointing a Practice Nurse to join a forward-thinking, stable and innovative surgery, where the team take genuine pride in making work stimula....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 11 May 2018
Practice Nurse
NHS Primary Care Experience (Practice Nurse). Participation in administrative systems in the Practice. The focus of the role is the delivery of eviden....
This job offer was posted by Babylon Health 19 May 2018
Practice Nurse
We require an experienced enthusiastic and highly motivated Practice Nurse to work alongside our friendly and dedicated nurse team....
This job offer was posted by Indeed 17 May 2018
Events
Upcoming Events
09 June 2018Contraception & Sexual Health Study Day
Add Event
Public Personal