• Forum help and frequently asked questions
    Help
    • Forum help and frequently asked questions
Sharps containers colour
Pages 1  2  
lualua

609 Posts

Posted:  21-Apr-2015 09:49
Guess what sort of inspection we have coming up!

PM has just asked me to use purple sharps containers for everything. Could anyone give me the definitive colours for what is used for what?
Claire41

137 Posts

Posted:  21-Apr-2015 10:41
There's a good poster in the LADS section, just search for 'colour coded sharps bin poster' I have one laminated next to bins as it can be confusing, although the chap that collects them told me they all go to the same place for incineration!
lualua

609 Posts

Posted:  21-Apr-2015 11:30
That's great, thanks Claire.
naughtynurse

228 Posts

Posted:  21-Apr-2015 21:07
Orange top for blood stained syringes ie phlebotomy, yellow top for all general vaccination syringes etc, purple top for all live vaccines, cytotoxics and hormones etc such as rotarix, mmr, depo prover, gold
MrsJones13

1 Posts

Posted:  27-Apr-2015 09:28
Purple top sharps containers are for Cytotoxic and Cystotatic vaccines, including hormone vaccines, yellow lids for other medicinal sharps, orange lids are for sharps that have contained no pharmaceutical element. Your PM could be lining herself up for trouble as it is an offence to segregate up.
Lilywhite

1348 Posts

Posted:  27-Apr-2015 11:20
Does anyone have a link to the legislation that states that live vaccines are classed as cytotoxic or cytostatic waste and must go in purple lidded bins? I know that the BCG must but I would find it very helpful to have a copy, as there is nothing I can find that clearly states this is a legal requirement.

Please be aware this is my opinion only based on the evidence I have seen, and not meant to be taken as direction
Dotty

996 Posts

Posted:  27-Apr-2015 16:35
This might help

http://srcl.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/List-of-hazardous-medicines-2009.pdf 

SRCL is my local waste collection service 

http://www.newcastle-hospitals.org.uk/CytostaticCytotoxic201311.pdf

Dotty
Lilywhite

1348 Posts

Posted:  27-Apr-2015 17:09
Thanks Dotty, I really appreciate you putting this up.

I don't know that it is definitive though; it states that 'Toxic for reproduction' - which is cytotoxic must not be confused with 'contraindicated in pregnancy'. It lists the BCG as cytotoxic but not any other live vaccines, similar to other material I have read where it states that the BCG is on there by specific discussion with the DoH.

Please be aware this is my opinion only based on the evidence I have seen, and not meant to be taken as direction
Peetie

10 Posts

Posted:  27-Apr-2015 17:54
Your sharps bin provider will provide you with posters for free that match the company you use.
Dotty

996 Posts

Posted:  27-Apr-2015 21:51
Hi Lillywhite when I did all this investigation of colour sharps bin years ago - not sure who I spoke to - prob infection control lead in primary care I asked about live vaccines and they said until they get clarification to go into purple top sharp boxes (thus the cy ones) - and am still waiting for real clarification - so in mean time mine go in there.  And if you speak to your waste collection people perhaps they might be able to tell you and if they say in the purple lidded box perhaps they know where that legislation came from.  Sorry cant be off more help but if you do find it please let us know.

Dotty
Dotty

996 Posts

Posted:  27-Apr-2015 22:00
This one may help I had a quick gander but is over 120 pages long - from DoH 2013:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/167976/HTM_07-01_Final.pdf

Dotty
Lilywhite

1348 Posts

Posted:  28-Apr-2015 12:47
Thanks Peetie and Dotty!

ems100

63 Posts

Posted:  29-Apr-2015 10:45
WE had this issue a while back, it was advised that live vaccines are 'cytostatic', so need purple lids

emb
Lilywhite

1348 Posts

Posted:  29-Apr-2015 10:54
Thanks for that, do you know where that info came from? [:)]

Lilywhite

1348 Posts

Posted:  07-Aug-2015 14:44
Bumping up

mrscat

369 Posts

Posted:  07-Aug-2015 15:24
just something that popped into my head,
once upon a time everything went into a normal bin
if live vaccines are classed as cytostatic, and need to be incinerated at a different temperature why are we injecting them into people?
or do they get more money depending on the colour of the lid? this i suppose makes better sense!

angel66

987 Posts

Posted:  07-Aug-2015 15:45
Yes probably mrscat!Our waste people tell us they all get incinerated not sorted!So what is the point?
percy

1286 Posts

Posted:  09-Aug-2015 19:25
can i just throw in legoinella! that was hot topic at ours.
pymouth1

848 Posts

Profile Picture
Posted:  10-Aug-2015 21:21
Thanks for bumping that up Lilywhite....but I can't see anywhere how exactly the purple and yellow lidded sharps disposed of differently to each other, In the document that Dotty attatched ( D of H safe management of Healthcare waste 2013)
it only says that both bins are incinerated. I don't think it mentions different temperatures...does any one know how exactly they are both disposed of? 

Judy
Lilywhite

1348 Posts

Posted:  11-Aug-2015 10:43
No - and it's almost impossible to get any info!

Please log in to post on the forum. It is free to register.
Some links are only clickable if you are logged in
Pages 1  2  
Featured Jobs
Practice Nurse
Langley Health Centre
We are looking for a full-time Experienced Practice Nurse to join our very busy, but friendly practice. We are a long established, large practice teac....
This job offer was posted by Kulvinder 02 October 2017
Nurse Team Leader – GP Surgery
GP Centre
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced, accomplished and self-motivated GP Practice Nurse to join our multi-disciplinary team. Based ....
This job offer was posted by judithhartland 26 September 2017
Practice Nurse Vacancy - Surbiton
nurses.co.uk
Position: Practice NurseHours: Part time; FlexibleSalary: Band 6/7, Dependent on ExperienceLocat... SurbitonWe have a great opportunity for a motivat....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 13 October 2017
Practice nurse in Leatherhead
nurses.co.uk
Our client in the Leatherhead area are looking for an experienced Practice Nurse to work at their friendly GP Practice on a locum basis. The successfu....
Brand New Practice Nurse Vacancy - Watford
nurses.co.uk
Chase Medical is delighted to be recruiting for a Practice Nurse in a fantastic GP surgery in the Watford area. This role is offered on a permanent ba....
Events
Recent Events
Add Event
Public Personal