• Register for free
  • Forum help and frequently asked questions
    Help
    • Forum help and frequently asked questions
Polio Booster for Pakistan
muggie2k

22 Posts

Posted:  26-Nov-2015 10:43
I have a 10 year old going to Pakistan for 6 weeks. Travax recommending Polio booster if not had in past 12 months. Patient had Diptheria/Tetanus/Polio in October 2009. Is it ok to give Revaxis to boost Polio part? Revaxis can be given over 6 years old.

Margaret

Margaret
Lilywhite

1314 Posts

Posted:  27-Nov-2015 15:57
Presuming child is up to date with routine imms I don't know that you could use anything else - there is no single polio vaccine in the UK. Revaxis tends to be used above 10 years old when vaccinating those with incomplete status so is used in that age group:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/463433/HPA-algorithm-September-2015-04b.pdf

If the child does not receive vaccine and get an international certificate of vaccination (same as yellow fever cert) then they may be vaccinated with live oral polio vaccine on exit from Pakistan, so particularly if the child has any contraindications to live oral vaccine, giving revaxis seems the only viable option.

You could always call NaTHNaC (or Travax if you have a subscription) and document their advice.

Please be aware this is my opinion only based on the evidence I have seen, and not meant to be taken as direction
Please log in to post on the forum. It is free to register.
Some links are only clickable if you are logged in
Featured Jobs
Lead Practice Nurse - Private Sector
nurses.co.uk
Lead Practice NurseFull TimePermanent London (SE1)£40 - £45,000 salary As the Lead Practice Nurse you will be working for a private healthcare provide....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 22 June 2017
Practice Nurse - Maternity Cover
We are seeking to appoint a 13 month fixed term maternity cover Practice Nurse. Experienced Practice Nurse with an interest in Asthma/COPD to provide ....
This job offer was posted by NHS Jobs 26 June 2017
PRACTICE NURSE
PRACTICE NURSE REQUIRED. Friendly training practice seeks to recruit an enthusiastic practice nurse to work in our 7000+ patient practice....
This job offer was posted by NHS Jobs 26 June 2017
Salaried Trainee Practice Nurse
Salaried Trainee Practice Nurse. As well as input from course tutors when at university, you will also receive support in your host practice from a me....
This job offer was posted by NHS Jobs 23 June 2017
Nurse Practitioner
All aspects of General Practice care. We are looking to recruit a Nurse Practitioner to join an established team in a friendly 3 Doctor GP practice to....
This job offer was posted by NHS Jobs 21 June 2017
Events
Recent Events
Add Event
Public Personal