• Register for free
  • Forum help and frequently asked questions
    Help
    • Forum help and frequently asked questions
Polio Booster for Pakistan
muggie2k

22 Posts

Posted:  26-Nov-2015 10:43
I have a 10 year old going to Pakistan for 6 weeks. Travax recommending Polio booster if not had in past 12 months. Patient had Diptheria/Tetanus/Polio in October 2009. Is it ok to give Revaxis to boost Polio part? Revaxis can be given over 6 years old.

Margaret

Margaret
Lilywhite

1343 Posts

Posted:  27-Nov-2015 15:57
Presuming child is up to date with routine imms I don't know that you could use anything else - there is no single polio vaccine in the UK. Revaxis tends to be used above 10 years old when vaccinating those with incomplete status so is used in that age group:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/463433/HPA-algorithm-September-2015-04b.pdf

If the child does not receive vaccine and get an international certificate of vaccination (same as yellow fever cert) then they may be vaccinated with live oral polio vaccine on exit from Pakistan, so particularly if the child has any contraindications to live oral vaccine, giving revaxis seems the only viable option.

You could always call NaTHNaC (or Travax if you have a subscription) and document their advice.

Please be aware this is my opinion only based on the evidence I have seen, and not meant to be taken as direction
Please log in to post on the forum. It is free to register.
Some links are only clickable if you are logged in
Featured Jobs
Practice Nurse / Nurse Practitioner (ANP)
Dr Curran & Partners
Exciting opportunity for a Practice Nurse / Nurse Practitioner (ANP) | Clapham, London Dr Curran & Partners is a friendly, high achieving and dynamic....
This job offer was posted by rajkumar123 05 September 2017
Practice Nurse
nurses.co.uk
Are you a qualified Practice Nurse seeking a new challenge?We are seeking a passionate and experienced individual to work within our Private Healthcar....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 16 September 2017
Practice Nurse
nurses.co.uk
GP Surgery in Twickenham offering a Practice Nurse for the following - Practice Nurse - 2 Days a week on going from 18th September on going long term ....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 15 September 2017
Independent Nurse Prescriber - London
nurses.co.uk
As a Nurse Prescriber you will work independently to provide a general nursing service for our company clients based in London. This is a varied role ....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 12 September 2017
Brand New Practice Nurse Vacancy - Watford
nurses.co.uk
Chase Medical is delighted to be recruiting for a Practice Nurse in a fantastic GP surgery in the Watford area. This role is offered on a permanent ba....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 11 September 2017
Events
Upcoming Events
25 September 2017Practice Nurse Training Course - RCN accredited
Add Event
Public Personal