• Forum help and frequently asked questions
    Help
    • Forum help and frequently asked questions
Human bite
buffy

231 Posts

Posted:  18-Jun-2017 19:02
Afternoon all.
Pt contacted surgery in May after being bitten by a service user in May whilst at work. Was advised to attend a/e but no record of him attending. Pt contacted surgery again, states was advised to have hep b booster?????. Wouldn't this be an occ health issue regardless. I am aware that we pick up human bites in primary care however if it happens in a place of employment, who responsibility is it
Sorry to ask

B xx
karen.rudd

11713 Posts

Posted:  18-Jun-2017 20:03
Who advised the hep b booster?
Had he had a primary course?
Was the hiv or hep b status of the biter known?
Has he had bloods taken?
Was he offered counselling re hiv and hep b and assessed?
Any antibiotics as wound infection common post human bite
Yes it is an OH issue by the sounds of it and out of OH office hours quite often advised to go to AE or the OH provider may have arrangement with local GUM staff?
If he has been appropriately assessed and appropriate clinician has suggested the hep B speak to them about their rationale and protocol / SOPs?

Please be informed that the above is the opinion of the author and is in no way meant to be taken as instruction.

karen
iPhone App Posted on my iPhone
buffy

231 Posts

Posted:  18-Jun-2017 20:20
Thanks Karen. No idea on any assessments/attendance/occ health provision etc. Was sent as a task via reception on Fri. No a/e documents on notes. Doubtful he has occ health provision with his current employer which I think may be in the learning disability sector. One recorded hep b on notes from 2004 I believe
karen.rudd

11713 Posts

Posted:  18-Jun-2017 21:04
Well I suppose that you will have deal with him as you would any patient who has sustained a human bite following cks management pathway. Worth GP speaking to centre and informing them that as employers they have a duty of care to provide OH services and this person should not have been working in at risk work place with one hep b and no post exposure plan? Might be worth speaking to your local GUM regarding your actions now re blood tests and follow up?

Please be informed that the above is the opinion of the author and is in no way meant to be taken as instruction.

karen
karen.rudd

11713 Posts

Posted:  18-Jun-2017 21:09
https://cks.nice.org.uk/bites-human-and-animal#!scenario:1

karen
buffy

231 Posts

Posted:  18-Jun-2017 22:07
Thanks Karen. Did think about phoning HPA tomorrow. Need to do some research into what how and where we are regarding what's been done if anything then take it from there. Its a month down the line now so will be interesting to see how it turns out
Please log in to post on the forum. It is free to register.
Some links are only clickable if you are logged in
Featured Jobs
Practice Nurse / Nurse Practitioner (ANP)
Dr Curran & Partners
Exciting opportunity for a Practice Nurse / Nurse Practitioner (ANP) | Clapham, London Dr Curran & Partners is a friendly, high achieving and dynamic....
This job offer was posted by rajkumar123 05 September 2017
Practice Nurse
nurses.co.uk
Are you a qualified Practice Nurse seeking a new challenge?We are seeking a passionate and experienced individual to work within our Private Healthcar....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 16 September 2017
Practice Nurse
nurses.co.uk
GP Surgery in Twickenham offering a Practice Nurse for the following - Practice Nurse - 2 Days a week on going from 18th September on going long term ....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 15 September 2017
Independent Nurse Prescriber - London
nurses.co.uk
As a Nurse Prescriber you will work independently to provide a general nursing service for our company clients based in London. This is a varied role ....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 12 September 2017
Brand New Practice Nurse Vacancy - Watford
nurses.co.uk
Chase Medical is delighted to be recruiting for a Practice Nurse in a fantastic GP surgery in the Watford area. This role is offered on a permanent ba....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 11 September 2017
Events
Upcoming Events
25 September 2017Practice Nurse Training Course - RCN accredited
Add Event
Public Personal