• Register for free
  • Forum help and frequently asked questions
    Help
    • Forum help and frequently asked questions
Tetanus
Teddy75

41 Posts

Posted:  11-Aug-2017 20:06
Lady 49yrs old, new job started which need evidence of tetanus vaccinations. Looking at her notes, I can only find 1st in June 1969' second August 1969 then it' states booster in 2000. She says she believes to have had all her Vaccs to be up to date but I can't find anything in her notes. Her previous employer wanted evidence too. She works in the health care setting. What do I do please?
iPhone App Posted on my iPad
karen.rudd

11640 Posts

Posted:  11-Aug-2017 20:18
1969 would have been tetanus only or tetanus diphtheria and pertussis infant programme and different to what we use now?
2000 may have been diftavax (Td) can you tell from record?

I would be inclined to give Revaxis course as per PHE algorithm for incomplete or uncertain imms?
At least she would then have full record of primary Td/IPV course with three doses at 4 week intervals

Whether for work/ travel or life in the Uk?

If she has had a lot more tetanuses in the past she might get more redness and discomfort at the injection site?
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/533831/phe-algorithm-2016-08.pdfPlease be informed that the above is the opinion of the author and is in no way meant to be taken as instruction.karen[applogo=iPhone]
Teddy75

41 Posts

Posted:  11-Aug-2017 20:25
Thanks Karen.
I certainly didn't recognise the Vaccs documented in her notes. So would you say to start the course again as per green book ( dtp)? Revaxis. Her notes just weren't clear but she was quite sure she was up to date when I mentioned having 5 in a lifetime.
karen.rudd

11640 Posts

Posted:  11-Aug-2017 21:18
Does she need documented evidence of a primary course of Tetanus diphtheria and polio?

While you describe three types of tetanus you do not mention the rest of her uk immunisation schedule?

The link I posted earlier tells you what to give anyone over 10 with incomplete imms schedules. ( you can fill in the gaps to bring her up to date with anything missing)

If she is concerned about her OH needs her employers OH provider should assess and they will need her imms record?

Tetanus is not really paramount for healthcare workers but is part of the uk schedule? So the request seems odd to me? They usually need evidence of mmrx2 (or titres as she was born before 1970 so may be immune via exposure) BCG or test, h/0 varicella disease (titres) or hep b status etc and that is all OH remit not yours?

Please be informed that the above is the opinion of the author and is in no way meant to be taken as instruction.

karen[applogo=iPhone]
Teddy75

41 Posts

Posted:  11-Aug-2017 22:00
She did mention HepB but I found evidence and she's update with this. She also said something g about not having a BCG scar if she was immune. I feel a little out of my depth at the moment I have no one to discuss this with at work due to AL, to run through her notes with. So will I need to take blood then?? Sorry but I really dont know which way to turn here!? She said her previous employer had evidence so I'll see if she can obtain this to begin with.
karen.rudd

11640 Posts

Posted:  11-Aug-2017 22:19
Teddy don't worry too much about this at all. OH is not part of GP practice. All you have to do is give her what vaccine history you have. It is her employers duty to ensure she gets assessed by OH? If she has had previous OH vaccines or bloods then she can get them from previous OH or go to a private OH clinic if she is self employed?

If she had a BCG it would either be in her paper notes or she may have not needed one depending on the result of previous heaf or Mantoux tests? These are not done in the nhs they are done by OH providers?

If she thinks she has had more vaccines than you have on record she probably had them elsewhere or some of her records are missing?

You can't give her evidence you don't have.

Put it to bed and have a lovely weekend x

Please be informed that the above is the opinion of the author and is in no way meant to be taken as instruction.

karen[applogo=iPhone]
Teddy75

41 Posts

Posted:  11-Aug-2017 22:24 Log in to like this post
Thank you once again Karen for your support. I'll ring her Monday. Yes I'll turn this off shortly and head off up the wooden hill.
chick

11 Posts

Posted:  15-Aug-2017 15:09
We had all this where I used to work, we were informed we are not occupational health nurses, so all patients who required work related vaccines were directed to occupational health, their employer should provide all this, if not then they have to go private
Please log in to post on the forum. It is free to register.
Some links are only clickable if you are logged in
Featured Jobs
Practice Nurse for GP surgery
Castleton Road Health Centre
Castleton Road Health Centre is an established 2 partner GP practice with approximately 4,500 patients, we are based near Goodmayes station. The pract....
This job offer was posted by Northstreet 17 August 2017
Practice Nurse
Longrove surgery
Experienced Practice Nurse Required Longrove Surgery is a busy but friendly 6 partner training practice looking for an experienced Practice Nurse to....
This job offer was posted by jennie62 07 August 2017
Senior Practice Nurse
Sands End Health Clinic
We are looking for an experienced Practice Nurse to join our friendly team as soon as ppossible (but we will wait for the right candidate). We are a ....
This job offer was posted by cjewels 02 August 2017
Practice Nurse - Access Hubs
nurses.co.uk
We are currently looking for Locum Practice Nurses to work in Dulwich. We have many ongoing Practice vacancies within GP Access Hubs and Urgent Care C....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 17 August 2017
Practice Nurse
nurses.co.uk
My clients are currently looking to recruit Advanced Nurse Practitioner/Nurse Practitioner (Prescriber) to work in several Out Of Hours clinics across....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 17 August 2017
Events
Add Event
Public Personal