• Register for free
  • Forum help and frequently asked questions
    Help
    • Forum help and frequently asked questions
Prem babies and first vaccinations
Abbylovescakes

22 Posts

Posted:  11-Oct-2017 17:04
Ive just done my 2 day imms and vaccs training but there is one thing I am still unclear on. Re: prem babies having their first imms in hospital - is there a cut off for this? For example, would you immunise a baby born at 30 weeks in hospital? I appreciate very prem babies are likely to still be in hospital at 8 weeks old, but I'm unsure, for example, if a baby born at 32 weeks, would be immunised in hospital or primary care. Is there a national policy, is it local policy or clinical judgement?

Thanks
Della

1548 Posts

Posted:  11-Oct-2017 20:22
I don't know the answer to this, but hospital would decide if first imms whilst still there are necessary ,and it would say on discharge summary if they had been given. So it is a decision that you would ever have to make yourself.
iPhone App Posted on my iPhone
alicog

415 Posts

Posted:  11-Oct-2017 20:23 Log in to like this post
babies will always be vaccinated in community unless still in hospital, if so they will be vaccinated there. They are given at 8 week post delivery , not 8 week after due date.
mika

351 Posts

Posted:  11-Oct-2017 21:42
Don't forget you may need to adjust the paracetamol dose as per children's BNF depending on the baby's gestation and weight.
blue.tunic.syndrome

1434 Posts

Profile Picture
Posted:  12-Oct-2017 00:21
Also review the SPC of Rotavirus re gap between doses for prem babies . Agree with Alicog 

Faith x
Sisters function as safety nets in a chaotic world simply by being there for each other.
Abbylovescakes

22 Posts

Posted:  12-Oct-2017 12:08
So they would only be vaccinated in hospital if they were inpatients at the time, otherwise it would be done in GP? And if they did have an adverse reaction to the first, they should have their second in hospital - so I would just ask the parent how they were?

Will look re: paracetamol and rotavirus gap. Thanks
Abbylovescakes

22 Posts

Posted:  12-Oct-2017 12:13
So they would only be vaccinated in hospital if they were inpatients at the time, otherwise it would be done in GP? And if they did have an adverse reaction to the first, they should have their second in hospital - so I would just ask the parent how they were?

Will look re: paracetamol and rotavirus gap. Thanks
blue.tunic.syndrome

1434 Posts

Profile Picture
Posted:  12-Oct-2017 13:08
Yes Abby, it seems that you are concerned about adverse reactions in this group, I wouldn't have any more concern vaccinating a prem child than any other. 
One thing you do need to do is take time to choose the 2 sites on the right thigh carefully with a smaller leg, identifying the muscle and placing the first high enough to enable a second vaccine a minimum of 2.5cm away. 

Faith x
Sisters function as safety nets in a chaotic world simply by being there for each other.
Please log in to post on the forum. It is free to register.
Some links are only clickable if you are logged in
Featured Jobs
Practice Nurse
Langley Health Centre
We are looking for a full-time Experienced Practice Nurse to join our very busy, but friendly practice. We are a long established, large practice teac....
This job offer was posted by Kulvinder 02 October 2017
Nurse Team Leader – GP Surgery
GP Centre
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced, accomplished and self-motivated GP Practice Nurse to join our multi-disciplinary team. Based ....
This job offer was posted by judithhartland 26 September 2017
Practice Nurse Vacancy - Surbiton
nurses.co.uk
Position: Practice NurseHours: Part time; FlexibleSalary: Band 6/7, Dependent on ExperienceLocat... SurbitonWe have a great opportunity for a motivat....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 13 October 2017
Practice nurse in Leatherhead
nurses.co.uk
Our client in the Leatherhead area are looking for an experienced Practice Nurse to work at their friendly GP Practice on a locum basis. The successfu....
Brand New Practice Nurse Vacancy - Watford
nurses.co.uk
Chase Medical is delighted to be recruiting for a Practice Nurse in a fantastic GP surgery in the Watford area. This role is offered on a permanent ba....
Events
Recent Events
Add Event
Public Personal