• Search all forums
  • Register for free
    • Register for free
  • Forum help and frequently asked questions
    • Forum help and frequently asked questions
Which flu vaccine should I use?

1 Posts

Posted:  06-Dec-2017 13:21
I have x2 patients who need flu vaccination as they are in an at risk group. Both have an allergy to eggs.
I know I need to use a vaccine with less than 0.05mcg ovalbumin / 0.5ml dose.
The patients are aged 3yrs and 30yrs.
Which of the following vaccines should I use - GSK Fluarix tetra inactivated quadravalent or
Sanofi inactivated quadravalent
Thanks for any help in advance.

692 Posts

Profile Picture
Posted:  06-Dec-2017 14:15
Do they have true egg allergy or are they intolerant to eggs or allergic by contact.
All the pts I have seen are not actually allergic and you need to ask if they are eating cakes, biscuits etc first to establish if they have a true allergy and have been in ITU

Karen H

619 Posts

Posted:  06-Dec-2017 18:09
Vomiting and skin rashes after eggs apparently does not count - we have been told only to avoid vaccination in people who have had an ITU admission with true anaphylaxis. All others ok to receive. Optaflu, which was the advised for egg-allergic patients is not available this year.
Please log in to post on the forum. It is free to register.
Some links are only clickable if you are logged in
Featured Jobs
Locum Practice Nurse: East London
Practice Nurse Opportunities in East London available! We have flexible locum sessions available, earning our fantastic pay rates of £25 - 42 per hour....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 16 March 2018
Practice Nurse - Mitcham
£25 - £42 per hour (inc. holiday pay) Practice Nurse Opportunity in Mitcham. Chase Medical are working with a GP surgery based in the Mitcham area, wh....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 15 March 2018
Practice Nurse
Part time practice experienced nurse required for whole days Mondays Tuesdays and Wednesdays....
This job offer was posted by Indeed 15 March 2018
Practice Nurse
Practice Nurse Duties. We are looking to appoint an Advanced Nurse Practitioner or Practice Nurse. They will demonstrate safe, critical thinking in cl....
This job offer was posted by totaljobs 08 March 2018
Advance Nurse Practitioners, ANP
Advanced Nurse Practitioner. And take general practice to a different height! Act as an advanced practitioner, demonstrating advanced clinical compete....
This job offer was posted by Indeed 05 March 2018