• Register for free
  • Forum help and frequently asked questions
    Help
    • Forum help and frequently asked questions
Which flu vaccine should I use?
kthomas

1 Posts

Posted:  06-Dec-2017 13:21
I have x2 patients who need flu vaccination as they are in an at risk group. Both have an allergy to eggs.
I know I need to use a vaccine with less than 0.05mcg ovalbumin / 0.5ml dose.
The patients are aged 3yrs and 30yrs.
Which of the following vaccines should I use - GSK Fluarix tetra inactivated quadravalent or
Sanofi inactivated quadravalent
Thanks for any help in advance.
karenH

687 Posts

Profile Picture
Posted:  06-Dec-2017 14:15
Do they have true egg allergy or are they intolerant to eggs or allergic by contact.
All the pts I have seen are not actually allergic and you need to ask if they are eating cakes, biscuits etc first to establish if they have a true allergy and have been in ITU

Karen H
lualua

613 Posts

Posted:  06-Dec-2017 18:09
Vomiting and skin rashes after eggs apparently does not count - we have been told only to avoid vaccination in people who have had an ITU admission with true anaphylaxis. All others ok to receive. Optaflu, which was the advised for egg-allergic patients is not available this year.
Please log in to post on the forum. It is free to register.
Some links are only clickable if you are logged in
Featured Jobs
Practice Nurse Manager/Prescriber/Practitioner
Linden Medical Centre
Experienced Practice Nurse or Nurse Practitioner. ... Medical Centre in Maidenhead is restructuring its nursing team following staff retirement, a....
This job offer was posted by Linden9a 20 November 2017
Practice Nurse, Maidenhead
nurses.co.uk
Practice Nurse, MaidenheadSalary: Band 6-7 (Dependent on Experience) - more for PrescribersNHS pension6 weeks annual leave + BH + study leave Indemnit....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 05 December 2017
Practice nurse band 6 - Windsor,Berkshire
nurses.co.uk
Kingdom Medical are recruiting for a Band 6 Practice Nurse for a major government body in Windsor,Berkshire. The post starts on 08/01/2018 however thi....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 01 December 2017
Practice Nurse job vacancy- Sutton
nurses.co.uk
Are you looking for a new post where you're supported in your development?We have a brand new vacancy become available for an experienced Practice Nur....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 28 November 2017
Practice Nurse
Heathcot Medical Practice seeks an enthusiastic and motivated Practice Nurse to join our friendly medical practice in Woking....
This job offer was posted by NHS Jobs 08 December 2017
Events
Add Event
Public Personal