• Search all forums
  • Forum help and frequently asked questions
    Help
    • Forum help and frequently asked questions
please advise on pts with proteinuria
Maggy

21 Posts

Posted:  11-Apr-2018 20:38
Hi, i am still struggling to understand this: if a diabetic pt already has proteinuria do we not need to continue doing annual ACR ?? what do we do ?? do we exclude them from testing ??

Maggy
angel66

1077 Posts

Posted:  11-Apr-2018 20:56
Persistent proteinurea needs to be investigated. Could be many things.Often end up under c/o nephrologist and have PCR or other urine test
Maggy

21 Posts

Posted:  11-Apr-2018 21:07
thanks angel66..im reading we don't need to investigate further if they are diabetic and appropriately managed, however I cant get my head around that NICE guidelines state send ACR in the ABSENCE of proteinuria and UTI, yet I thought we have to send ACR annually anyway and also to monitor if the proteinuria is getting worse?? .. Aw its difficult to get my head around

Maggy
angel66

1077 Posts

Posted:  12-Apr-2018 11:19
There is no point sending ACR as that is only looking for microscopic amounts of protein.If have proteinurea on dipstick test, ACR will be inappropiate test.
Should be looking for underlying cause eg renal damage, nephrotic syndrome, heart failure, infection etc etc. Need to code it as persistent proteinurea if ruled out all that and send PCR annually instead.Appropiately managed normally means they are under consultant care and they then do other tests.
Please log in to post on the forum. It is free to register.
Some links are only clickable if you are logged in
Featured Jobs
Practice Nurse
Annandale Medical Centre
We are a small, friendly, supportive practice, with a low turnover of staff. We are looking for an experienced practice nurse, preferably with chronic....
This job offer was posted by lynorr 16 August 2018
Practice Nurse Vacancy - Apply Today!
nurses.co.uk
Are you looking for a change of scenery and a new permanent position?Do you want to work within a friendly clinical team who put patient care at the f....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 21 August 2018
Advanced Nurse Practitioner (ANP),
nurses.co.uk
Register today, work straight away LOCATION: Nationwide SALARY: £42ph - £55ph + Evenings, Weekends & Bank Holidays We are recruiting for Advan....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 17 August 2018
Practice Nurse
GENERAL PRACTICE NURSE - LILYVILLE SURGERY, PARSONS GREEN (LONDON SW6) *. The Practice is growing and we have an exciting opportunity for an experienc....
This job offer was posted by Indeed 16 August 2018
Advanced Nurse Practitioner Role, Bracknell
Click here for more General Practice Jobs. We are looking for an Advanced Nurse Practitioner in Bracknell to join a long established and progressive g....
This job offer was posted by Prospect Health 16 August 2018
Events
Add Event
Public Personal