• Forum help and frequently asked questions
    Help
    • Forum help and frequently asked questions
Assistant Practitioner
Melissa

525 Posts

Posted:  12-Sep-2018 14:10
Hi
Anyone out there employing assistant practitioners? I'm trying to find out their roles and how they differ from HCA's. eg can they work under PGD's or do they need PSD's, what can they do that a well trained HCA can't do?
Thank you

Mel
karen.rudd

12129 Posts

Posted:  12-Sep-2018 14:31
Only registered nurses can work to a PGD.
They are not as yet a registered proffession so would need PSD. 
Established role in the states, and more common in secondary care but following career path shows primary care roles too:
https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/Wider-healthcare-team/roles-wider-healthcare-team/clinical-support-staff/assistant-practitioner
Often hear people describe the AP as similar to the SENs of the past, but they were registered?
Will be interesting to here from practices where this role is established?Please be informed that the above is the opinion of the author and is in no way meant to be taken as instruction.karen
iPhone App Posted on my iPhone
Melissa

525 Posts

Posted:  12-Sep-2018 17:33
Also looking at the new role of Nursing Associate. What is the difference?! This looks as though it may be a more regulated role - band 4 same as Assistant Practitioner. Very confusing!!

Mel
karen.rudd

12129 Posts

Posted:  12-Sep-2018 18:57
In the link I posted previously assistant practitioner and associate practitioner are interchangeable titles?

Please be informed that the above is the opinion of the author and is in no way meant to be taken as instruction.

karen
Melissa

525 Posts

Posted:  12-Sep-2018 21:02
https://www.nmc.org.uk/standards/nursing-associates/what-is-a-nursing-associate/

Nursing Associates are going to be regulated by NMC Just trying to work out the difference in the 2 roles. I'm pretty sure they are different to AP

Mel
humpty dumpty

725 Posts

Posted:  13-Sep-2018 23:44
Evening All
My understanding is -

Indeed Assistant Practitioners and Nursing Associates are different, although both roles are underpinned by an equivalent LEVEL of education ie foundation degree.

Assistant Practitioners are not registered nor regulated , and are more frequently found in very secific practice areas where they undertake extended roles for which they have been trained and assessed as competent. I.e they have in depth knowledge and skills in a specific/ defined area. They arent able to be included on PGDs but follow PSDs

There is no requirement within their training to undertake specific number of hours in other placements and the foundation degree content ( often studied as day release but can be distance learning I believe) is determined by the Higher Education Institute.
It takes 2 years to complete and the HEIs set their own admission criteria - which is variable . There are quite a number of APs in GP across the country and the "difference" between APs and HCSWs is defined in the depth of education knowledge and understanding they have acquired and not determined by "tasks" undertaken.

The Nursing Associate role was identified as needed in order to fill a perceived gap between Care Certificate and RN .

The NMC will register annd regulate NAs- and the same rules FTP etc. and the consulation period re this is closed and determination due I believe later this month.

The programme of education for these learners will be via the level 5 apprenticeship standard and will be delivered by HEIs - again over 2 years . Entry requirements will be determined by the HEI - and learners will have to satisfy eligibilty criteria for undertaking an apprenticeship ( minimum number of hours employed, right to be working in UK,
not on any other funded programme of education for example)

NA learners have to be employed, and in order to meet the NMC requirements of registration must undertake placements in areas considered "home" "near to home" and " away from home" to achieve the breadth of experiences required.

These placements must total a certain number of hours per year for both years and the employer will continue to pay the learner whilst they are on these placements. ( it equates to approx 4-6 months on placements - which are arranged by the HEI)

The fundamental differences between a RN and NA is NAs will not plan or change care, and NAs must work under supervision ( but not clarified IMO how remote this could be ) of a RN.

They will be employed where banding exists as a band 4.These learners will be able to APEL ( i believe 2 years ) into the 4 year RN apprenticeship if they seek career progression.

APs can also APEL into the RN apprneticeship but due to the variation in content of AP programmes the credit that will be given for this will be variable- but may also be 2 years if they have the study skills required.( Indeed I am aware of one RN apprneticeship programme - approved bythe NMC where APs must only complete a further 18 months of to achieve RN status)

There is a COP looking at the scope of practice and standardising JDs of NAs - although these are not to identify "tasks" but define the standards the NA will be expected to achieve / work to.

-having a PIN and regulation - able to be included on PGDs ( baby imms travel etc) and undertake smear training .

There are currently pilot cohorts across the country of NAs and the first cohorts will qualify in Jan 19 with the other pilot cohorts finishing in March 19. There are approx 3000 in these cohorts but there is a drive to increase this number in training to 8000 by Dec (but NB these are NOT on an apprenticeship but being QAs and overseen by HEE )

There are a handful of GP based trainee NAs. The advice i have heard for any HCSW wanting to undertake this training at present is to contact the lead at HEE .

Another long one sorry!

Please be informed the above is opinion of author only.
angel66

1106 Posts

Posted:  16-Sep-2018 09:47
So it's gone full circle to when we had SENs and SRNs. Just different names.
I understood APs were like junior drs?
karen.rudd

12129 Posts

Posted:  16-Sep-2018 21:48
https://www.nursinginpractice.com/article/taking-temperature-practice-nursing

Guess with the recruitment and retention probs in GP practice, they will have to fill posts with other staff but not sure whether giving GPNs decent terms and conditions would be a better way to retain those not retiring and recruit nurses in the future?

Please be informed that the above is the opinion of the author and is in no way meant to be taken as instruction.

karen
Please log in to post on the forum. It is free to register.
Some links are only clickable if you are logged in
Featured Jobs
Practice Nurse - Nottinghamshire
nurses.co.uk
Practice Nurse - Nottinghamshire... Medical is proud to announce that we are now recruiting for a Practice Nurse on behalf of one of our wonderful c....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 13 December 2018
Practice Nurse
nurses.co.uk
Locum Practice Nurse Shifts Available in HullEarn £25-42 per hour, boost your income, CPD and achieve the ideal work-life balance. No hassle applicati....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 13 December 2018
Practice Nurse, Hull
nurses.co.uk
Practice Nurse locum shifts available at GP surgery in Hull; £25 - £42 per hour (including holiday pay). Control your work rota completely, and determ....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 12 December 2018
Practice Nurse
nurses.co.uk
Practice Nurse, London, Full-time: Contract, £30ph - £33ph I am currently looking to recruit experienced Practice Nurses to work in London. Initial co....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 12 December 2018
Practice Nurse
nurses.co.uk
our long established client in London has come in, they are looking for Practice Nurse cover Our client takes pride in delivering the uppermost excell....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 07 December 2018
Events
Add Event
Public Personal