• Search all forums
  • Forum help and frequently asked questions
    Help
    • Forum help and frequently asked questions
no fluad
JC

12 Posts

Posted:  10-Oct-2018 09:04
We now have almost no fluad as Sequiras appear not to have stock. Does anyone else have this problem? thanks.
tiredandemotional

4401 Posts

Profile Picture
Posted:  10-Oct-2018 10:02 Log in to like this post
JC, are you having staggered deliveries from Seqirus?

We have also run out, having had 40% of our order in September and 20% this month, but we will be getting another 40% in Novemebr. PHE have advised patients that they will beniefit more from waiting for aTIV in November than getting QIV earlier than this.

This is just my opinion and not an instruction. T&E x
JC

12 Posts

Posted:  10-Oct-2018 10:35
yes, staggered deliveries. I wonder if just for once we could have an easy life at flu season. Reassured by your reply, not just us messing up!
willow

3257 Posts

Posted:  10-Oct-2018 16:47
Yes we re out!

pnurse

126 Posts

Posted:  10-Oct-2018 18:54
We’re out too ! Nightmare this year! Don’t think we’re gonna have enough for all. This has all pushed me a little closer to seriously considering taking my retirement! 
miller

29 Posts

Posted:  13-Oct-2018 08:42 Log in to like this post
We have run out too and I spent yesterday phoning patients to apologies as we had over booked. I contacted our local imms coordinator at the CCG but she couldn't help. Next delivery w/c 22nd. We were identified as a surgery who had under ordered so I've asked for another 500 doses on top of the 1000 that we originally ordered. Seqirus are a night mare to get in touch with so I've had no confirmation at all about my increase in order. It's impossible to organise clinics with so little info. If it makes you feel any better, lots of surgeries & pharmacies have the same problem & flu clinics are being cancelled this weekend near me. Our sanofi rep is very reassuring & says next year they will provide the over 65s too so we won't have this nonsense. It's keeping me awake at night!!!
borbie

4 Posts

Posted:  15-Oct-2018 09:19
Our 2nd delivery was due on Friday for clinic Saturday and they didn't come. We rang Seqiras who told us our order had been missed!! They said nothing they could do and it would arrive Monday after our 150 pts!
I threw my toys out of the pram and said that's not good enough and told them to get the Manager out of her meeting and I wanted our flus picked this afternoon and delivered immediately and guess what, she arranged the delivery ! My advice- don't take no for an answer, this company are making. ££££££££ this year and have no idea the stresses we are under with split deliveries etc.
I have the managers mobile number if you have trouble!!! 🙂

I
mika

466 Posts

Posted:  15-Oct-2018 13:32
our manager has worked really hard making it as stress free as possible. We prioritised homes, housebound and COPD over 65's for our 1st 40%, bookable appts with the same number appts as vaccines available. Then the same, bookable 2 min appts for the next delivery (hopefully!) arriving next week. Then the same for mid November for the final delivery. The pt's have been very understanding when we have explained and most are happy to wait their turn. We do know we have ordered what we think we will need. We have been unable to offer any opportunistically, but otherwise it has gone fairly smoothly. Although she did have a bit of a nightmare planning the clinics. Roll on the Children's flu party as the fire brigade are coming!
Stephy76

5 Posts

Posted:  15-Oct-2018 16:13
At least you've all had some.  Our 1st delivery is scheduled for week beginning 22/10/18.  I just calmy direct the patients to the local pharmacy.
Dotty

1049 Posts

Posted:  16-Oct-2018 14:07
Some surgeries in my area did not go according to PHE advice and have 2 types of flu vaccine - all went for one type of vaccine by Sanofi - what a sensible option!!  And next year think we will do the same.  So much for getting patients protected with flu vaccine asap within September when there is no vaccines available - it is a bl....... joke and there is or going to be a big uproar about it.  And another thing having received the fluenz school list - some schools not being vaccinated until December!!!!!  Also child imms department sent out letters for the 2-3 year olds to have their fluenz in the surgery at least 2 weeks before we were allowed to order the fluenz.  This year it has been a right mess and the only people who are succeeding is the pharmacys whom for some reason or the other received all their vaccines way before us in GP land.

Dotty
mika

466 Posts

Posted:  16-Oct-2018 14:34 Log in to like this post
I think you would be on dodgy ground not following PHE advice. Fluad is a more effective vaccine for the over 65's. If someone over 65 was not given the correct vaccine and died of flu or a flu related illness there would be grounds for a complaint. Locally we have been advised that if someone is given the wrong vaccine for their age it has to be reported as a drug error. Proper flu viruses do not start to circulate until Dec vaccinating in Nov is OK. Personally I would rather my parents had the correct vaccine in Nov than one that is probably not going to give them much cover in Sept. Our flu season has actually been less frenetic this year because of the staggered deliveries and the need to be more organised in planning.
tigha

771 Posts

Posted:  16-Oct-2018 18:12
same ran out, cancelled loads patients
Dotty

1049 Posts

Posted:  18-Oct-2018 14:03
Take on board what you are saying Mika and thank you. However, believe me there are surgeries that have only purchased one flu vaccine for all.  Flu Peaks December and is present before and for many months after December and is normally advisable to vaccinate asap or least by end of October (however, due to length flu is around is never too late to vaccinate)..  Takes 2 weeks following flu vaccine to provide the antibodies.  And seeing that Fluad is a trivalent and Sanofi is quadvalent - thought that the Sanofi one is more effective than the Fluad.  And what if there is a drug error that wrong flu vaccine given to patient - do we bring them back and give them the correct one as one would do in childrens imms (I doubt very much patient would want to have a 2nd flu vaccine however it would be their choice)? x

Dotty
mika

466 Posts

Posted:  18-Oct-2018 18:09
I am sure some surgeries have done this, but that doesn't make it right. It is not about the number of strains it's about the effectiveness of the adjuvanted vaccine in the over 65's. Vaccinating in Sept and Oct with a vaccine that has been proved to be fairly ineffective in the older population is not best practice when another option is available. See page 10 of the PHE flu PGD. Re the drug error, yes, they should be brought back. As you say you would bring a child back, why not anyone else? They might not like it, they might refuse, but they should know they could receive a more effective vaccine.
tiredandemotional

4401 Posts

Profile Picture
Posted:  18-Oct-2018 20:31 Log in to like this post
Bearing in mind that last years TIV was approximately 10% effective for the over 65s, I can't see many patients giving truly informed consent for QIV when PHE (and hopefully all other HCPs) advise it is safer to wait for aTIV.

This is just my opinion and not an instruction. T&E x
Dotty

1049 Posts

Posted:  18-Oct-2018 21:19
Thanks Mika and T&E that has made it clear but it is so frustrating having to wait as we have now used up our 2nd delivery now await the 3rd delivery!!

Dotty
Della

1685 Posts

Posted:  19-Oct-2018 07:55
What irks me more than anything else, is that we were told at our flu update in Sept, that Fluad has been used worldwide for the last 20-30 yrs.

So why on earth, if that is the case, has Sequirus not been able to manufacture enough for the Uk without having these ridiculously staggered deliveries.

I thought initially it was because it was new and only one manufacturer, but that is clearly not the case.

Call me cynical, but I wonder if it as as someone else suggested (?here or on another PN Forum) all part of the plan to destabilise and fragment the NHS.
iPhone App Posted on my iPhone
Please log in to post on the forum. It is free to register.
Some links are only clickable if you are logged in
Featured Jobs
part time practice nurse
Grove village medical centre
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic and motivated nurse to join our amazing practice team to work for 8 hours per month, 4 hours each on a coupl....
This job offer was posted by Sdhandee 15 October 2018
Practice Nurse - Barking, London
nurses.co.uk
Want to work in the busy, ideal location of Barking?Are you an experienced Practice Nurse looking for a new, exciting career move?This job is expected....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 19 October 2018
Senior Practice Development Nurse - Emergency Dept
nurses.co.uk
King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust part of King's Health Partners Academic Health Sciences Centre (AHSC), is one of the UK’s largest and bus....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 12 October 2018
Practice Nurse
nurses.co.uk
Chase Medical is seeking an experienced Practice Nurse to work in a GP Practice in the Paddington area of London on a flexible locum basis. By working....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 10 October 2018
Practice Nurse
Practice Nurse Qualification Desirable but not essential. Undertake all duties and responsibilities related to the practice nurse role....
This job offer was posted by HCA Healthcare UK 19 October 2018
Events
Add Event
Public Personal