• Register for free
  • Forum help and frequently asked questions
    Help
    • Forum help and frequently asked questions
Live vaccines & giving non live vaccines
pretty&pink

372 Posts

Posted:  18-Sep-2013 21:43
Am I correct in thinking that if I've given a live vaccine it is ok to then give a non live vaccine later such as 2 days or 1 week later, it's only the live vaccines that either need to be given at the same time or if not possible 4 weeks later? Gosh I get so confused with all these vaccines I just need to check now & again sorry.
Jackie2

1298 Posts

Profile Picture
Posted:  18-Sep-2013 21:47
That's right. And this will apply to PRe-school MMR boosters and fluenz. Will confuse things!

iPhone App Posted on my iPhone
tiredandemotional

4038 Posts

Profile Picture
Posted:  18-Sep-2013 22:10
That is the case with injectable live vaccines. 

Fluenz can be given within 4 weeks (or any other time) of MMR.

The same applies with rotarix and BCG
newnurse

53 Posts

Posted:  23-Sep-2013 23:12
Sorry to be really stupid tiredandemotional I'm a bit confused by your reply can you please clarify?
You seem to be saying you don't have to leave 4 weeks between MMR and fluenz as its nasal and not injected. Is this statement correct?
phantom

757 Posts

Posted:  24-Sep-2013 08:30 Log in to like this post
New nurse that is a debateable point.

Some PGD's  will state that Fluenz should be given either With the MMR or 4 weeks apart.
However the green book is contradicting this and saying Fluenz should be given even if MMR has been given within the last 4 weeks. This as I understand it is because the risk of getting Flu outweighs the risk of interfering with the MMR.
In the SPC for Fluenz it states that the immune response to Rubella was significantly altered. However thia alteration might not be of clinical relevance with the two dose immunisation schedule of Rubella vaccine. 
This is the same response in the Green book and so the two can be given at any time.

HOWEVER if your PGD states that they need to be given 4 weeks apart, as mine does, then if you are a non prescriber you will need to get a PSD for those children.

Very very confusing but I understand PGD's were written before the Flu chapter in green book was updated.

Inky

372 Posts

Posted:  27-Sep-2013 20:38
Bumping for Flo111
Please log in to post on the forum. It is free to register.
Some links are only clickable if you are logged in
Featured Jobs
Practice Nurse
Langley Health Centre
We are looking for a full-time Experienced Practice Nurse to join our very busy, but friendly practice. We are a long established, large practice teac....
This job offer was posted by Kulvinder 02 October 2017
Nurse Team Leader – GP Surgery
GP Centre
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced, accomplished and self-motivated GP Practice Nurse to join our multi-disciplinary team. Based ....
This job offer was posted by judithhartland 26 September 2017
Practice Nurse Vacancy - Surbiton
nurses.co.uk
Position: Practice NurseHours: Part time; FlexibleSalary: Band 6/7, Dependent on ExperienceLocat... SurbitonWe have a great opportunity for a motivat....
This job offer was posted by nurses.co.uk 13 October 2017
Practice nurse in Leatherhead
nurses.co.uk
Our client in the Leatherhead area are looking for an experienced Practice Nurse to work at their friendly GP Practice on a locum basis. The successfu....
Brand New Practice Nurse Vacancy - Watford
nurses.co.uk
Chase Medical is delighted to be recruiting for a Practice Nurse in a fantastic GP surgery in the Watford area. This role is offered on a permanent ba....
Events
Recent Events
Add Event
Public Personal